Sandesh also known as ‘pranhara’ is one of the most famous sweet and it is popularly known as a specialty from the state of Bengal, in fact for Bengalis any celebration is incomplete without.
Sandesh is a delicacy, served as a dessert. Made several different ways using freshly made paneer. This Indian recipe is also famous in Dhaka and Bangladesh. Sandesh is titled as ‘heart stealer’ by the Bengali.
- 8 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoon sliced pistachios
- About 8 strands of saffron
- Put milk on flame in think bottom pan and heat it till it boils.
- Add lemon juice in a cup of hot water.
- Stir boiling milk and slow add lemon water in it to separate milk fat and whey.
- Drain the whey using a strainer line with cheesecloth, or muslin cloth wrap and rinse under cold water and squeeze well. Then set it aside to remove extra water or whey in it.
- Then knead the paneer until the paneer is almost rolls into smooth soft dough.
- Add the sugar and cardamom into the paneer and knead the paneer again until sugar is mixed well.
- Next on low heat cook the paneer mixture stirring continuously until paneer starts coming together as soft dough. About 6 to 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and keep mixing the paneer like you are making dough.
- This is most important step to this dish; you are just cooking paneer enough to take out the rawness. Over cooking will make become crumbly.
- Divide the paneer in 24 equal parts and roll them giving a ball shape.
- Garnish with a drop of saffron paste putting sliced pistachio over.
- Refrigerate them for few hours before serving. Serve them chilled.
One can put 3 – 4 strands of saffron mixed with about one table spoon of hot milk in to it to give in a yellow color. Rose petals can also be used for garnishing it.
If you Like This Post Please Comment Below and Share ...