Moong dal halwa is a very traditional Indian dessert made on special occasions. A classic recipe that is relished throughout Rajasthan and its prepared during winter as it keeps you warm from the bitter cold.
Moong dal halwa is highly calorie laden halwa which is loaded with ghee.
1 cup of yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
1 cup of milk warmed
1 1/4 cups of sugar
1/2 tsp of cardamom (elaichi) powder
a few of saffron (kesar) strands
6 tbsp of ghee
2 tbsp sliced almonds (badam) and pistachios
- Soak the moong dal in water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain extra water and grind to a coarse paste using very little water. Too much of water will spoil it.
- Dissolve the saffron in 1 tablespoon of warm milk and keep aside.
- Melt the ghee in a think, broad and non-stick pan.
- Add the moong dal paste and stir the mixture continuously on a low flame till it becomes golden brown.
- Add in the warm milk and 1 cup of warm water and cook, stirring continuously till all the moisture has been absorbed.
- Add the sugar and cook on a slow flame till the ghee separates.
- Add the saffron and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Garnish with slivers of almonds and pistachios. Serve hot.