Gajar Halwa or Gajar Ka Halwa also known as gajrala is a Northern India or traditional Punjabi dessert made with carrots and milk. It is generally prepared in winter season.
Gajar Ka Halwa is a popular worldwide with many variations such as Red Velvet Halwa, Carrot and Beetroot Halwa, and Cheesy Carrot Halwa.
- 2 cups shredded carrots.
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 6 chopped roasted cashew nuts and almonds for garnishing
- Boil the milk on medium-high heat in a non-stick think pan until it is reduced to about to 1 cup. Stir often to ensure the milk does not stick or burn in the bottom of the pan and set it aside.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat and add the shredded carrots and stir-fry for about seven to eight minutes such that it is tender and slightly changes in color.
- Add the milk and cook until the milk dries. This will take about eight to ten minutes.
- At the end add the sugar, and cardamom powder. Mix it will and tell it cook for another three to four minutes until the halwa starts to leave the side of frying pan. But stir it so that it does not burns at the bottom of the vessel.
- Garnish with cashew nuts.
When ready to serve just warm. It can be served with Vanilla flavor ice cream also with an addition of chocolate syrup on it.